First Baptist Church was organized in 1842 by 23 charter members, under the leadership of the first pastor, A.J. Garrett. The first church buiding was located on Bumbo Lane (Fayette Street). In 1894, a new church building was dedicated on High Street, our present location. In 1856, the first Sunday School was organized. Training in the Word of God has continued to play an important part in the life of the church.
The first full-time pastor, A.B. Pendleton, was called in 1864. Following him has been a long succession of dedicated pastoral leaders. Many have distinguished themselves in the Morgantown community and throughout the area.
The Ladies’ Aid Society was added in 1866. they existed to support the church in whatever might be necessary. Women have continued to be faithful leaders, playing a primary role in the growth and health of First Baptist Church. The BYPU (Baptist Youth People’s Union) was formed in 1890. today it is known as the ABY (American Baptist Youth). Many of today’s leaders have taken part in these youth organizations.
In 1956 the church building was renovated and an education wing was added to accommodate Sunday School classes and to better promote the Baptist Campus Ministries. Due to our unique downtown location, and our available space we are also able to assist other Christian organizations and programs ministering to the needy in the area.
Music has always been at the heart of First Baptist. In addition to our newly purchased Baby-Grand piano we have also been blessed to purchase a new electronic keyboard. We have a hand bell choir on special occasions, and music offered by many talented vocalists and instrumentalists.
Our vision continues to grow. Through the various ministry teams, every member is provided opportunities to apply his or her talents in the service of our Lord. We sincerely believe that God has been leading our congregation for these many decades and will continue to do so for many decades to come. We hope you will join us in ministry in His name.